HUGO VAN DER MOLEN'S
a collection of historic bonds and shares
NV Rijtuigfabriek voorheen gebroeders Spijker
(Engl.: Carriage-works formerly Spijker brothers)
(update: January 4th 2008)
Dr. Hugo H. van der Molen -
Wederikweg 114 - 9753 AE Haren, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 (0)50 534 8795; Fax: +31 (0)50 534 0852; email: email@example.com
NV Rijtuigfabriek voorheen gebroeders Spijker (Engl.: Carriage-works formerly Spijker brothers)
Amsterdam, April 1st 1891; Bewijs van aandeel (Engl.: Certificate of one share) no. 083, groot f 1000 (thousand guilders) in a total kapital of f 500.000. The company was established ion february 27th 1891.
Originally signed by the 2 directors H.J. (Hendrik Jan) Spijker and J. (Jacobus) Spijker as well as by board member van Eeghen.
Printed by Joh. Enschede en zonen, Haarlem. Light green with a decorative "music note" type border and an embossed tax seal from the province of North Holland.
Condition VF: one midfold, torn below 2 cm. and above 0,5 cm. Attached is the coupon sheet, 6 of which have been declared for dividend.
This share is the second one that has ever appeared on the collector's market. The first one (no. 079) was auctioned in 2001 by Monen in The Netherlands and fetched a price of 7,300 Duth Guilders, including charges Dutch Guilders 9,037. Because of the listing of Spyker Cars on the Amsterdam Stock Exchange on May 27th 2004 and the participation of Spyker Cars in Formula-1 racing, Spyker has - again - become a world wide famous brand by now.
Price asked: 9,750 Euro.
Short history of this company and its follower, the currently active and famous Spyker automobielfabrieken (Spyker cars):
(click here for the more comprehensive story)
In 1880 the Spijker brothers started a coach and carriage factory in Hilversum. In 1886 they moved to the Stadhouderskade in Amsterdam, where they started producing automobiles around 1900. One of the last coaches they produced is the famous Golden Coach, a present to Queen Wilhelmina from the city of Amsterdam, on the occasion of her accession to the throne in 1898. This coach is still in use by the present queen every year at the opening of parliament.
In 1901 the Spijker brothers started to build Benz cars in licence under the name Spijker-Benz. For this purpose a new factory was built at the Amsteldijk in Amsterdam with the name Industriële Maatschappij Trompenburg, after the former homestead at that location (These offices and factory are shown on the paper factory Nestelrooy that used these buildings in the period after 1925, when the car factory closed down). In 1903 the name Spijker was changed into Spyker, easier for use abroad. In that year they built a car that was both the first 6-cylinder as well the first permanently 4-wheel driven car in the world, the 60 HP GrandPrix racer. This car still exists and can be seen in the Automobiel museum in Raamsdonksveer. In 1907 the Spyker 14/18 finished in the first Peking-Paris rally. The brand became world famous and was called the Rolls Royce of the continent. In 1914 Spyker merged with the Dutch Aircraft Factory N.V. and the axiom became: "Nulla Tenaci invia est via" (for the tenacious no road is impassable). The logo became a combination of a spiked wheel and an airoplane propellor. In 1915 de airplane pilot Henri Wijnmaken became director until 1922. During the first world war 100 fighter-planes and 200 aircraft engines were produced by what was now "the NV Nederlandsche Automobiel- en Vliegtuigfabriek "Trompenburg" (the Dutch Automobile and Airplane works Trompenburg". A few shares of this company from 1916 exist in the collector's market. Trompenburg went not broke but had to stop the production in 1925. On May 26th 1926 the inventory was auctioned. The company had produced 1500 cars and held more than 100 patents in its name.
Many years later, he rights for the name Spyker were bought for Spyker Cars (at that time Spyker Automobielen BV), founded in1999 by entrepeneur Victor Muller and co-founder and car designer Maarten de Bruijn. In 2000 the Spyker C8 Spyder was introduced, 75 years after the last Spyker had been built in 1925. This hand made car reflects in its design the combined car-airoplane history to a large extent. On May 27th 2004 Spyker Cars became listed under that name on the Amsterdam Stock Exchange. In that year three models were being hand made in the works at Zeewolde: the Spyder 215, Laviolette and Double 12. In 2002 and 2003 they participated in the 24 hours race at Le Mans. In 2006 some 100 cars were produced. In 2007 production stalled to about a quarter of that and the company faced severe financial and other difficulties. Therefore the Formula-1 racing team was sold in september 2007 to the Indian entrepeneur Vijay Mallya and the Dutch family de Mol for € 88 million. Besides that, the Russian banker Vladimir Antonov is going to give a financial injection of another € 34,5 million through Snoras Bank in Litauen, part of the Russian Convers Group that is controlled by Antonov.
You are here: home - scripophily -