Dr. Hugo H. van der Molen -
Wederikweg 114 - 9753 AE Haren, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 (0)50 534 8795; email: email@example.com
United States Steel Corporation
click for enlargement of this engraving of a steel plant interior -------------->
----- 1947, certificate for < 100 shares, green border; condition; 2 small brown stains in left border, price € 20.
----- 1947, certificate for 100 shares, red border, condition: minor border defects; upper whit border cut off one mm., price € 20.
----- 1947, certificate for < 100 preferred shares, olive border, ; on the back 2 stock transfer stamps and one documentary stamp, condition: pinhole in the middle of the engraving, price € 20.
May 27th 2017
Baker International Corporation
With a vignette of an oil worker holding the company's product in front of a refinery and oil fields. Baker name is placed across a globe of the earth.
- share certificate Nr. L8652, price € 15
- share certificate Nr. CM22625, price € 15
Some history of tehe company:
- Mr. Baker had arrived in the California oilfield in 1895 with 95 cents in his pocket and dreams of making his fortune in the Los Angeles oil boom. Subsequently, he hauled oil for drillers with a team of horses and became a drilling contractor and an oil wildcatter before achieving success as an innovator in oilfield equipment.
- In July 1907, Reuben C. Baker, a 34 year-old inventor and entrepreneur in Coalinga, California, was granted a U.S. patent for a casing shoe that enabled drillers to efficiently run casing and cement it in oil wells, what revolutionized cable tool drilling.
- On March 26 1913, Baker formed Baker International Corp., incorporated in California, as is indicated in the seal of the 1978 share cerificates.
- In 1928, Baker Casing Shoe Company changed its name to Baker Oil Tools, Inc., to reflect its product line of completion, cementing and fishing equipment.
- In early 1956, during one of the most successful periods in the company's history, Reuben C. Baker retired as President of Baker Oil Tools. A few weeks later, he died after a brief illness at the age of 85 and was succeeded by his long-time associate Ted Sutter.
- Baker formed Baker International Corp., incorporated on March 26 1913 in California, as is indicated in the seal of the 1978 share cerificates.
- In 1987 Baker International acquired and merged with Hughes Tool Company to form Baker Hughes Incorporated.
- Shortly after in 1992 Baker Hughes acquired Christensen Diamond Products and merged it with Hughes Tool Company to form the drilling and evaluation division, Hughes Christensen.
- Baker Hughes is one of the world's largest oilfield services companies. It operates in over 90 countries, providing the oil and gas industry with products and services for drilling, formation evaluation, completion, production and reservoir consulting.
- In November 2014 Halliburton proposed the acquisition of Baker Hughes, which would unite the second and third largest U.S. providers of oil field services. Baker Hughes' board of Directors accepted the offer, a merger deal valued at $34.6 Billion.
- INTEQ also originally incorporated the drilling fluids division of Baker Hughes which consisted of Milpark and others. This division was called 'INTEQ drilling fluids' which provided the premier brands in oil and gas well drilling muds and wellbore cleaning fluids.
(I realise that you may find several apparent inconsistencies in the above. Any corrections in this history would be appreciated: mail to me here )
Source: OldStocks.com (Eric Drum), May 27th 2017.
December 9th 2016
incorporated in Delaware in 1967, it was a specialty store,the only department store selling exclusively Christmas articles, all year round.
Delaware,1969, certificate of 100 shares, orange border, 23 Euro
The Vignette shows stylized holiday items, including a Christmas tree, ornaments, a reindeer and gift boxes.
Price: € 23
July 8th 2016
Ewing Oil Company,
June 22nd 2016
Certificate of odd shares (500) in the name of Warren A. Gordon, Nevada (USA), 1996.
Condition VF: various faint vertical folds, tiny staple traces.
Price: € 50
March 25th 2012
Argonaut Mill & Mining Co.
Incorporated, june 18th 1879 in San Francisco;Capital stock 2 million $ (20.000 shares of 100$); certificate nr 129 (in blue figures) of x = 100 shares, dated January 7th 1880, in the name of John Sproston Jr., who endorsed the certificate on the back in order to have it registered in the companies book after handing over this certificate.Small size (10 by 24 cm) and on pink paper. Original signatures of secretary (Fields ?) and director (Davenput ?); Litography by Britton & Rey S.F.; Above the lower border it reads Eldorado Co., Cal.;
Price: 250 Euro.
See this certificate and it's Beautiful 6 by 4 cm vignette of the mythological ship the ARGO, the famous and heroic crew of which were called the ARGNAUTS. See the story of this famous journey led by Iason, who went out to get the Golden Fleece, and also have a look at a map of their journey. Now, the videorelease can be hired of the beautiful 1999 film (172 minutes !) "Jason and the Argonauts". It covers only half the journey described here, but is an adventure film worth seeing !
Adventurers who went to California in search of gold soon after its discovery there in 1848, were called Argonauts, so I take it that the Argonaut Mill and Mining Co. was a gold mining and processing company.
January 8th 2012
Lockheed Aircraft Corporation,
Vignette: female goddess Hermes (L: Mercury), in the nude, binding under her shoe with wings;
condition UNC (print fresh, with hole cancellation, SPECIMEN, price; 195 Euro.
Founded in 1926 by Allan Loughead ( later the name was legally changed to Lockheed ) and his brother Malcolm, the company was bought by Detroit Aircraft Corporation in 1929, only to have the parent corporation file for bankruptcy in early 1932. Later that year, on June 21, 1932 a group of investors led by Robert E. Gross purchased the bankrupt Lockheed Aircraft Corporation for $42,000.
The advent of World War II began the company's business as a defense contractor by beginning with the P-38 Lightning bomber and still continues as a primary contractor for U.S. defense aircraft as Lockheed Martin Corporation (source: scripophily.com, January 8th 2012).
|Hughes & Hatcher, Inc.,
Incorporated in 1946 in New York, the company had a chain of clothing stores.
The certificates have a 4,5 x 5.5 cm. engraving of a Roman man wearing a helmet beautifully decotated with horses and a plume.
---------- orange 1975; certificate of < 100 shares, blue and red stamp over the text, but not over the vignette, price 23 Euro
---------- blue, 1975 , certificate of 100 shares, price 20 Euro.
December 19th 2010
|Gemeenschappelijk bezit van aandelen Philips' gloeilampenfabrieken
Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 1970th, transferable in New York, measuring 30 x 20 cm.; beautiful engraving (8 by 5 cm) with Philips logo, symbols of electronics, chemistry, audio etc.
----- green border, 100 shares, hole cancelled, unfolded, with signatures of Frits J. Philips (CEO from 1961-1971) and Frans Otten (CEO from 1939-1961), price 50 Euro.
----- blue border, < 100 shares, hole cancelled, unfolded, signature of Frits J. Philips (CEO from 1961-1971), price 50 Euro.
September 6th 2010
|The Meadow Brook National bank
Queens County,, New York City, N.Y., Organized in 1905; certificate of odd shares, issued in 1963; 4 by 4 cm. vignet of indian chief with eagle feathers and light blue printed seal with same picture; print: ABNC; blue border, Price 25 Euro.
New England Oil Corp, green, certificate of 100 shares, 1921, laws of Virginia, USA,
print ABNC, dark green border on light green; "'COMMON"' in red print,
cancelled, origin. sign. of president D. Cox and treasurer Samuel Vaughan;
in the name of Louis Rosenfield; 2 small rusted staple holes, cancelled. Price: 25
United Cigar Stores Company of America
New York, 1928 (orange), Dividend Certificate for less than 100 shares of common stock, series B - dated April 16, 1928; print: ABNC; hole cancelled, several small staple traces; price € 23.
September 6th 2009
|Kreuger & Toll Company, Sweden,
----------> 5% secured sinking fund gold debenditure f $ 1000, New York, 1951, orange decorative border on orange field, unfolded, several staple holes; price 23 Euo.
<---------- Class A certificate of deposit for US $ 500 in a 5% sinking fund debenditure, in the name of K.P. Manus, Rokin, Amsterdam (his name is written with pencil in the upper border and his original signature can be seen on the back side), issued in New York on April 10th 1939, but it has an orange printed Dutch taxstamp. Printed by ABNC, olive border, condition VF: treaces of use, but no tears, price € 35.
|Hospital Corporation of America,
Nashville, Tennessee, USA,
Vignette of Hippocrates and a woman flanking a shield with a Caduceus (Hermes staff, having 2 snakes around a staff). Surprisingly it is not the Aesculapius sign, used by doctors, which has only one snake around a staff. On the other hand the 2 snakes of the caduceus are associated with healing powers as well, see text about the CADUCEUS (in Dutch) or the web page on Mythology on stocks. On the other hand, HCA means big business as well, see a text page in English on this company.
----- certificate of 100 shares, green, 1972, condition VF: very nice, but a very small tear in the upper border white, price: € 25.
----- certificate of 100 shares, green, 1972, VF, but small staple tear right through the face of Hippocrates, price: € 10.
June 18th 2009
Criswell no. 175 (not listed in Ball); rarity 10 = very rare.
Scrip Certificate for X US $: (handwritten: 10.000 $) issued by the National Safe Deposit Company Ltd. for holding of confederate bonds, London, 1887; measures ca. 22 x 21 cm., one penny red printed tax stamp; condition EF: folds nor tears but a litle brownish on te left upper left; price € 75.
April 23rd 2009
Li'l Darlin's of the West Bordellos, Inc.
"Doing Business with Pleasure", certificate no 1011 (blankette); This certifies that the Bearer owns one share of UnCommon Stock of Li'l Darlin's of the West, Bordellos, Inc.;
paper Gold Seal, green border, small black vignette of sitting lady with high heel shoes, condition UNC = printer fresh, price 95 Euro. Order now !
This certificate comes with a 4 page "prospectus" (see cover and inner side) and a 25 x 20 cm (10 x 8 inch) colour photograph of six "pleasure consultants".
As the bearer of this certificate has not been filled in yet, this certificate would make an excellent and original gift at any bachelor's party.
April 21st 2009
Playboy Enterprises, Inc.;
Beautifully engraved certificate, printed by the American Banknote Company with a vignette of the nude Miss February 1971, Willy Rey and the Playboy bunny logo. This item has the printed signature of the Company’s Chairman of the Board, Hugh Hefner. This certificate for 1 share was issued in 1976 to Hendrik Ory, Standaardmolen64 in Amsterdam. Condition EF, unfolded, price € 300. Order now !
The stock proved too popular for the company's good: so many people purchased one share and took delivery of the certificate that Playboy was spending a fortune sending out annual reports and dividend checks. They issued a more modest new certificate and did a reverse split to call all stocks back in (for two old Playboy shares you were given one new Playboy share; otherwise you got cashed out) . If you didn't send the stock, you lost your shares. The old piece of paper is still worth a lot more than the current live stock.
click for enlargement
click here for the Playboy centerfold of February 1971, depicting the nude Willy Rey. Comparison with the stock shows that, although this original centerfold is depicted on the stock, Willy Rey has been given more and longer hair on the stock, thus revealing less.
April 8th 2008
click to enlarge
Lazare Kaplan International Inc.
Delaware, USA, 1978, certificate of 100 shares, blue border, unfolded, but various staple traces. The company is listed on the AMEX exchange under code LKI.; price €50.
March 14th 2008
Inc. under Delaware law, USA, in 1912; head quarters in Wilmington, Delaware, now a world wide operating chemical company (www.herc.com) with also a facility in Zwijndrecht, The Netherlands; 8,75 % odd $ note, 1976, due 1983; olive border, print: Security-Columbia Banknote Co.; 9 by 5 cm engraving of the Greek hero Hercules, wearing a lion's had as a head cap and a club on his shoulder; facsimile signatures by S.R. Clarke (treasurer) and Werner C. Brown (?) (president), price € 95.
February 5th 2008
Wilmington, Delaware; certificate of 10 ordinary shares, each of $8 nominally, issued in Amsterdam in 1978 (Text entirely in Dutch). Issued by de "NV maatschappij tot beheer van het administratiekantoor van Amerikaanse fondsen, opgericht door Broes en Gosman, Ten Have & Van Essen en Jarman & Zoonen" Amsterdam (a stock administration office); print by Joh. Enschede & Zonen, Haarlem; 25 by 18 cm., brown border, unfolded, but many wrinkles; hole cancellationsthrough original signatures; price 10 Euro.
January 2nd 2008:
Bethlehem Steel Corporation
Incorporated in 1919 in Delaware; Read the history !
Certificate of 100 shares, 1967, brown border, engraving of a man sitting in a harbour; price: 95 Euro.
(June 3rd 2007)
This engraving of the American Banknote Company is depicted on stocks of the Appalachian Power Co., BT Mortgage Investors and the Ohio Power, Co.
The first person to order one or more of the items below will get a 50% discount; normal shipment costs remain appliccable.
Appalachian Power Company
- 1971 , green border, 100 shares, price 25 €
- 1971, brown border, < 100 shares, price 25 €
- 1987, orange border, 8 3/4% bond due 2017, cancelled, price 25 €
- 1989, purple border, 10 1/4 % bond, due 1997, cancelled, price 25 €
BT Mortgage Investors
- 1971 (orange border) , < 100 shares, orange, various staple traces, 15 Euro
- 1971 (blue border), 100 shares, various staple traces and damage, 10 Euro
Ohio Power Company
- 1971, brown border, 7,72% cumul. preferred. stock, price 25 €.
- 1971, red border, < 100 shares, price 25 €
-1971, blue border, 100 shares, price 25 €
You are here: home - scripophily - latest acquisitions - USA